Monday, September 27, 2010

"Mom Says" Mondays

My mom had a few sayings.

I'm sure ALL of our mom's had a few sayings!

On Mondays I am going to write about one of the sayings my mom or other mom's say, some are common, some not so much :)

Today's "Mom ism" is "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick". 

Now the "It's" part of this saying is the variable. "It" would have been anything I was complaining about that could have been worse. And I guess in my mom's mind there is nothing much worse than being poked in the eye with a sharp stick. Nothing!

And when your complaining doesn't it irritate you when someone reminds you that things could always be worse or that you should be thankful for what you do have. 

The other day I was walking outside from one office at the airport to another and when I got to the second office I said "Whew, it's hot out there!" (by the way, I think it was about 120 degrees so I was NOT exaggerating!) And the girl in the office simple said to me "Could be worse". I was completely offended, totally angry! I even muttered it to myself on my way back to my car, "could be worse?, could be worse?!" Ugh, the nerve of her!  

Sometimes all you want is for people to join you in your little pity party. 

Well my mom has never been big on pity party's that's for sure!

I can't think of anything right off the top of my head that I might have complained about. I was practically a perfect child after all, so she must have been talking to my sister when she said this particular "Mom ism"! 

And I guess, now that I think about it, 120 degree heat is still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Pretty is . . . ANYTHING but a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

No comments:

Post a Comment